Friday, September 30, 2011

Franchisee Profile: Vishal Bhatnagar, Franchisee of Menomonee Falls, WI

Recently, we sat down with one of our newest franchisees, Vishal Bhatnagar, opening a Toppers location in Menomonee Falls, WI on January 26, 2012. Read below to find out his background and the process he went through to become a franchisee of Toppers Pizza.

Q: Where are you from?

A: I am originally from India although I spent most of my childhood and teenage years in Kenya. My family moved to Africa when I was seven and I stayed until I was 18.

Q: What was your career before franchising?
A: I came to the United States to go to college. I attended Purdue University and earned a degree in aviation technology. Unfortunately, the events of 9/11 made it very hard to get a job in my field, as many of those jobs were being eliminated so I went to New York and worked for an engineering company. After a year of working there, my visa expired and I was forced to go back to my home country of India. Even though it wasn’t the most ideal situation, it gave me a chance to know the country of my origin. I also went back to school for my MBA and upon completing that, I worked for the largest coffee exporter in India. While there, I met my wife, Shruti, and we got married. During this time, my parents had applied for my Greencard so I could get back to the United States. In 2009, I was granted it and left India to come back to the U.S.

My dad had got into franchising in the U.S. and bought a Quality Inn & Suites in Menomonee so when I came back to the states, I helped him run that business. I’ve been doing that for the last 2.5 years and now I’m desiring to change things up a bit.

Q: How did you learn about the brand?
A: Toppers is very established in Whitewater, WI which is where my cousin went to school. My uncle also lives in Whitewater. I was initially exposed to the brand through them. It’s been a part of my life since 1998 or so.

Q: Why did you decide to open your own business?
A: My MBA has really added value to my understanding of running a business. With that background and the experience of helping my dad with the hotel for several years, I feel like I have the necessary skills to be a great business owner. I’ve also been very successful on the marketing front. Shruti, my wife, has a degree in restaurant and hospitality management and will be helping me part time with the new location. I believe that we have the necessary business skills and industry knowledge to be very successful!

Q: What was appealing to you about joining a franchise system?
A: I like the support of a franchise system. The hotel is also a franchise and I know from that experience about the tremendous amount of support corporate provides. I like that everything is standardized which helps with brand recognition and a consistent brand proposition. One very appealing thing about joining Toppers is that I’m getting involved in its prime growth stage. When the company really takes off into a national brand, I believe it will be very beneficial for me.

Q: With regard to your previous experience, what skills do you feel helped you in your business?
A: I believe my marketing experience will help me the most in this new business. I worked in an integrated marketing communication position at the coffee company in India. I was responsible for national marketing opportunities. I brought new ideas to market the product. I look at marketing as a holistic approach where there are several different pieces to the puzzle that make the engine run. I also have an appreciation for the customer experience and understanding consumer needs – all of which will be critical to build up my business. Fortunately, I am very familiar with Menomonee since the hotel is also in the area. It gives me a leg up on knowing how to cater to the consumers in the area.

Q: What obstacles have you overcome to get where you are today with your business?
A: Personally, I had to overcome the challenges of having to go back to India because my visa expired. Ideally I would have found a work visa to be able to stay in the U.S., but I look at that positively because I got my MBA, was able to get to know my home country, and met my wife.

Q: What are your expansion or development plans?
A: Yes. I would love to keep developing new Toppers locations. I’m in for as many as Toppers can give me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment